Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Surprises

I've been surprised to realize lately that not only fear of further suffering is preventing me from wanting to date, but also my own dissatisfaction with myself is a huge stumbling block.

While I myself may like myself better than I did years ago, I fall so far short of my own expectations for myself, it's impossible for me to imagine anyone else finding me acceptable, let alone desirable.

The saddest part is that if someone did indeed "like me anyway," I would neither believe him or have any respect for him. The scariest part of admitting that little tidbit is that I think that's always why I've "aimed low," so to speak, when it comes to men. For example, I've already admitted that I adored my ex-husband because it's how I wanted to feel about my husband. He wasn't worthy of it, but I overlooked it at the time to suit my own need. So, in other words, this self-perception problem is actually not new. It's just new to my enlightened self.

So what do I think is wrong with me that no one worth it could love me?

This is difficult to list.

First, I don't think I'm pretty enough. I don't think I'm fit enough (though I work out all the time), I don't like my complexion, and I'm kind of disheveled most of the time. I admire those feminine, finished looking girls with smooth hair and clothes that fit like they were tailor-made. They're not me, and I don't understand a man who'd prefer me to one of them.

I don't think I'm mature. I'm stubborn, and it's getting worse as I get older. I don't enjoy responsibility. My house is noticably "organic," though it's clean, and it's a heroic effort to stay even minimally organized at work. There's an artlessness about my lifestyle that, if I encountered it in another, would drive me mad. So I'd expect it to drive someone else mad to find it in me.

Then... I find myself unable to accept that "sometimes marriages don't work." In my naive mind, divorce was never an option for me when I married; I assumed that it wasn't for him, and I was wrong. I see as a divorced person how accepting people are... I am grateful for their compassion but at the same time vaguely horrified by it. It's an actual option. Not working out a marriage is an option. Of course I'd never have married someone I thought would leave me. Little did I know that, hey, divorce happens! It's really an option, and anyone can get one, and nobody else can do anything about it. Wow, what an eye opener! It would take an eternity for me to believe that a man wants, really wants, what I want and will do what it takes to have it.

Writing these truths has helped me.

I mean, I think that for myself, I look just fine, but what's actually most important to me is that I am healthy, and I am doing the right things to stay that way. I actually admire myself for working to maintain my God-given health. To me myself, that's more important than how I look. Couldn't it be more important to a man that my health is a priority to me over how I look physically, all on its own?

As for my stubbornness, well, I've lived alone for a long time, and it's only natural I've arranged my lifestyle to suit myself. However, I recognize that I'm perfectly happy to collaborate with people whom I recognize as worthy of my respect and esteem. I do think a man's job is to lead, however traditional that is of me, but the need for him to have my sincere respect (not the pro-forma respect I gave my ex-husband because, well, I wanted to respect my husband; I did it backwards) is paramount. If I found a genuine leader in my life, a person with the vision to take us forward together, I really believe I'd enjoy collaborating with him, even if it means giving up some of my independence.

I never expected to search for a relationship with a man at this stage in my life... I saw all my friends and relatives marry in their youth and then grow up together. My role-modeling doesn't fit my current circumstances. It might be a wise idea for me to search out some second-marriage people and ask for them to share their wisdom. This is a whole new row to hoe.

No comments: